COVID-19 Information

Student FAQs

Staying Informed

  1. How can I talk to someone in student services?

    CCC: 510-215-4110

    DVC: Chat with Welcome Services or contact an Admissions and Records representative at (925) 685-1310.

    LMC: 925-473-7434

  2. How do I stay up to date with changes while my campus is providing remote instruction and services due to COVID-19?

    Make sure you are checking your InSite email frequently. This is the email address that staff and faculty at your college will use to send you information and updates.

    You can also visit our district Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage for updates.

Tools and Help for Remote Learning

  1. With most classes transitioning from in-person to online classes, what do I need to do to prepare, especially if I’ve never taken classes online?

    We are dedicated to helping you succeed in your classes during this challenging time. Students should communicate with their instructors and college counselors to request online support and resources. Each college has resources in place to help students to succeed, both in terms of online instruction and remote Student Service.

    You can learn about your college’s online resources at the following links:

    For additional resources and helpful videos, please visit the Student Resources page on the CA Community College's Online Education Initiative website.

  2. Do you have any other tips for succeeding in online classes?

    Students are encouraged to follow these four tips to be successful when learning online.

    • Log into your course ahead of time to review the learning objectives and any assignments. Assess the workload for the week and put the due dates on your calendar. Having a mental picture of what's ahead is the best thing you can do to prepare each week.

    • Aim to have all of your assignments done prior to the due date. Why? Because life happens and when you wait until the last minute, you're more likely to have problems meeting the due date.

    • If you identify a challenge with meeting a due date, contact your instructor right away. Instructors are more willing to be flexible when contacted in advance of a due date.

    • Use the Canvas To-Do List and Calendar to track and stay current on your assignments.

  3. What if I don’t have a computer or I live in an area that has limited or no broadband access?

    Students without a computer should check with their college about any laptop loaner programs that may be available. Students should also communicate with their individual instructors on how they may access course materials or live lessons through mobile phone options.

    Several companies are providing reduced cost or free internet access to ensure students have access to reliable internet service.

    There are limited resources available for students with high need. Please contact your college with the information below:

  4. How can I make a payment?

    CCC: Payment Options:

    1. CHECK/MONEY ORDER - Students who are paying by check or money order should mail the check or money order with a note for what it is, and their Student ID#.

    2. CREDIT CARD - Students who are paying by credit card can call 510-215-4892 using the following schedule:

      • Thursday, April 2nd - 9am to 12pm

      • Friday, April 10 - 9am to 12pm

      • Friday, April 17 - 9am to 12pm

      • Friday, April 24 - 9am to 12pm

    DVC: The DVC Cashier's Office will be available on Fridays from 8am-12pm to take payments over the phone. Please call 925-969-2105.

    LMC: The LMC Cashier's Office will be available on Tuesdays from 9am-1pm to take payments over the phone. Please call 925-473-7502.

Class Information — Deadlines & Procedures

  1. I am concerned about my grades. What are my options for classes I am enrolled in for Spring 2020?

    Because of the unexpected transition to online and distance learning, many students and teachers are experiencing online learning for the first time. Recognizing the challenges involved, several changes have been implemented regarding grading protocol. Among them:

    Retaking a Course: Students can retake a course attempted during the pandemic and colleges are being directed to disregard the previous grade when computing a GPA once the course has been retaken and completed.

    Deadlines for Pass/No Pass Grades: The deadline for selecting a pass or no pass option instead of a letter grade has been extended to 7 calendar days before the end of the course. Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, or who plan to attend graduate school, are strongly encouraged to speak with a counselor electing to take a class for a Pass/No Pass grade as this could affect your future educational opportunities.

    Probation or Unsatisfactory Progress: 'No pass' grades will not be considered in probation and dismissal procedures. Students attempting to complete a course under the current situation, rather than withdraw, will not be negatively affected should they ultimately be unable to successfully complete the course.

  2. Can I withdraw if I feel I cannot complete the course? If so, who do I talk to?

    Yes. If you choose to withdraw due to the impact of COVID-19, you will receive an excused withdrawal (EW). Please talk with your instructor first, your instructor may have options for you. Please also consult with a Counselor and Financial Aid Office before dropping a course as it may affect more than just your enrollment at the college.

  3. How do I drop a class?

    You can drop a course on your InSite portal through the Plan-Progress tile. If you are blocked from dropping a course online due to owing student fees or being on Academic Probation, you can email a request either by using the drop request form on the Admissions & Records Forms page or submitting an email request including course information to your college. Please see the appropriate email below. BUT it must come from your student InSite email to authenticate your identity.

  4. What is an Excused Withdrawal?

    Students who drop a course(s) between March 1 and May 15 will be assigned a notation of “EW” (excused withdrawal) and will be issued a refund/credit for enrollment fees for each course that is dropped.

    For students who have already dropped (March 1 or later) with a “W,” your record will be updated to reflect an “EW.” Moving forward, students who drop during the “W” period will be assigned an “EW.” Students will also receive a refund or credit for enrollment fees* for these courses by the end of the spring term.

    For those who have enrolled in a short-term course, the last day to drop the section is seven calendar days before the last day of the course. As with full term courses an “EW” will be assigned and a refund/credit issued for enrollment fees* for each course that is dropped.

    Students are encouraged to consult with a counselor prior to dropping a course to discuss other options and impact on progress. Students receiving financial aid should contact their college financial aid office to determine any impact dropping a course may have on your financial aid funds.

    * Please note the EW refund will only include the enrollment fees for the dropped course(s). Other student fees are not subject to refund. For more information, visit your college’s student fees page at the following links:

  5. My instructor told me that one of my classes will not finish until June 30. Why has the class been extended beyond the date when it was originally scheduled to end?

    Due to the fact that some lab and activity classes are not able to be fully completed in a remote fashion, some classes are being extended until June 30. Your instructor has extended the class in an effort to make it possible for you to complete the class. If your instructor invites you to come to campus to complete an activity for your class, all social distancing rules and recommendations from county health officials will be followed.

    Only select classes that involve hands-on activities or require face-to-face interaction are being extended beyond May 22. The last day of instruction for most classes will not be affected.

Financial Aid Information

  1. Will the campus closure disrupt my financial aid payments?

    No, college staff are working hard to make sure that there are no disruptions in payments to students. Students will continue to have access to financial aid resources including grants, student loans, and work-study. Email your college financial aid office if you have any questions or concerns.

  2. Will my financial aid be affected if I have to drop some or all of my classes because of the change to online?

    We are expecting guidance from the US Department of Education regarding relief measures for financial aid students in the CARES Act. Please check back again for updated information.

    At this time, you must continue to maintain minimum program enrollment requirements and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to be eligible for a financial aid disbursement. If you maintain minimum enrollment requirements:

    • Current Pell Grant awards should not be affected

    • Current Federal Direct Loan awards should not be affected

    • Current Cal Grant and Student Success Completion Grant awards should not be affected

    • Current Federal Work-study awards should not be affected

    • Current California Promise Grant awards should not be affected

    If you are planning to officially withdraw from all of your spring 2020 courses, please consult with an academic counselor and financial aid assistant before doing so. Repayment may be required if you withdraw before April 8, 2020. If you have specific questions about how dropping courses or withdrawing may affect your financial aid status, please email your college financial aid office from your InSite email account.

  3. How will my work-study award be affected by the closure?

    Work-study (Federal work-study, CalWORKs, EOPS, and VA) students will be paid for scheduled hours as of the closure (March 16, 2020) as long as you have award funds remaining. Please check in with your work-study supervisor about entering scheduled work on web-time entry.

  4. How do I repay a financial aid debt if the campus is closed?

    Financial aid repayments are still accepted by phone (credit card) and mail (check or money order) during the campus closure. If you are mailing in payment make sure to include your name, student ID #, and indicate the reason for the payment. Please contact your college Cashier’s Office if you have additional questions.

    CCC Cashier
    Fridays 9 am - 12 pm

    DVC Cashier
    Fridays 8 am - 12 pm

    LMC Cashier
    Tuesdays 9 am - 1 pm


  5. How will dropping some of my classes affect my eligibility for First Time + Full-time = Free Time (FT3)?

    The requirement to complete 12 units has been waived for all FT3 students for spring 2020 in order to support students affected by COVID-19. However, you must still have attempted 12 units to be eligible and you still need to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. For more information visit the FT3 website.

  6. When is the deadline to pledge for FT3 for Spring 2020?

    The deadline to submit a FT3 pledge for Spring 2020 has been extended to April 15, 2020. For more information visit the FT3 website.

  7. Is there any change to the financial aid appeal deadline for the spring semester?

    Yes, the deadline to submit Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals is extended to Monday, April 27, 2020. You may download your campus financial aid appeal form in the forms section of the college financial aid webpage and submit the completed form to your college financial aid office via email using your InSite email account.

General Resources

  1. Is the library open?

    No in-person services are being provided at any district locations until further notice. The library at each college has online resources available.

  2. The repercussions of COVID-19 have been really challenging for me in more areas that just school. What other resources are available for me?

    For additional information and resources, please visit the Hope Center’s Surviving COVID-19: A #RealCollege Guide for Students.

  3. Like many fellow students, I struggle with food insecurity. What are colleges doing to keep food pantries open?

    Please visit your location’s Food Pantry webpage for the most up to date information:

    Listed below are helpful links to access additional food resources:

    California Association of Food Banks | Feeding America | CalFresh | The Social Care Network | 211 services

Special Programs

  1. What do I need to know if I’m a veteran with GI Bill benefits?

    S.3503 was signed into law on March 21, 2020. The bill gives the VA authority to continue GI Bill payments uninterrupted in the event of national emergencies. The new law allows the VA to pay education benefits regardless of the fact if a program has moved from the classroom to online. Also, students will continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance payments until December 21, 2020, or until their school resumes normal operations. If you have questions about your specific circumstance(s), please reach out to your college’s Veterans Resource Center for guidance.

  2. What online supports are available for DSS/DSPS students?

    Our Disability Support Services (DSS) Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) staff are working to expand and supplement existing services for online students to accommodate the increased demand. Students should call or email their college DSS/DSPS office to learn about what services will be available once we move to 100 percent remote operations.