The Contra Costa Community College District Police Department is responsible
for emergency planning and the coordination of emergency operations throughout
the district. The Police Department works closely with local, operational area,
regional, state, and federal agencies to provide for your safety during an
emergency or disaster.
Print a copy of our Emergency Procedures Wall Card/Poster
CCCCD Emergency Operations Plan
Become Better Prepared Today!
Everyone needs to be prepared for emergencies, because they may occur
anywhere--and at any time. Fortunately, there are many things you can do:
- Remain aware of your surroundings at all times;
- Become familiar with workplace and school emergency plans;
- Get a kit (an emergency supply kit should minimally include several days worth of water and non-perishable food, a battery-operated radio, flashlight, first aid kit, and any prescribed medications);
- Make a plan (include a family evacuation plan, communications plan, and reunification plan, with out-of-state contacts to relay messages to other family members);
- Be informed (take a first-aid/CPR or Community Emergency Response Team--CERT class); and finally,
- Get involved (volunteer to help at your workplace or in your community).
Disaster Service Worker Orientation Video:
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
The Contra Costa Community College District Community Emergency Response Team
(CERT) is a team of specially-trained volunteer staff members who support
emergency services at all district campuses and facilities. CERT members undergo
training to better serve the college and neighboring communities in case of
The basic 20-hour CERT training program follows nationwide Federal Emergency
Management Agency (FEMA) standards and is endorsed by both the state and county
offices of Emergency Services. The district program is unique in that it
incorporates several hours of additional training to help prepare team members
to meet the specific needs of a campus environment.
CERT members receive training in:
- Disaster Preparedness
- Fire Safety
- Light Search and Rescue
- Disaster Medical Operations and Triage
- Disaster Psychology
- Team Organization
Click here to learn more about the Contra Costa Community College District CERT page.
Safety Monitor Program
In addition to our Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program, the
Police Department manages a district-wide Safety Monitor Program. This provides
designated district and campus employees with training and equipment so they may
assist during evacuations, shelter-in-place situations, or other emergencies.
Many of the Safety Monitors have taken extra steps to become CERT-trained.
Special Event Training (SET)
In order to provide advanced assistance in the management of critical
incidents and special events, many District Police Department members have
become Special Event Training (SET) Qualified. To become SET-qualified,
department members receive specialized training in many functions, including:
- Incident Command System (ICS)
- Critical Incident Management
- Air Operations Support
- Special Event Planning
- Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Terrorism Awareness
Contra Costa County Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (CCCLHMP)
The Contra Costa Community College District is a planning partner with the Contra Costa County Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Project.
For more information about this project, please visit the Contra Costa County Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Web Page.
Additional preparedness information may be found at the following websites: